Welcome to my blogs, Thanks for the visit!

Blog Post 2: Digital Identity

Photo by Pixabay: https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-photography-of-smartphone-icons-267350/

Digital identity is defined as a person’s presence online, it is everything that the person posts and shares on social media or the web which includes tweets, blogs, photos, interactions, videos and more. Our online identities are shaped by how we conduct ourselves and how others see us in both personal and professional contexts.

U of G library youtube video

Personal and professional approaches to digital identity, in my opinion, have different effects on how people use social media.

• Personal: Social media is a way to engage with family and friends, regardless of their current location. It keeps the person connected with people they may have lost contact with otherwise. It makes sense to keep one’s personal social media accounts separate and private given that they are used to sharing content about one’s daily life, beliefs, religion and more, but it’s also important to understand the responsibilities that come with utilizing social media.
  • Professional: Social media is the person’s multi-media resume with endorsements. It gives the person a platform to connect with industry professionals, recruiters, and find job opportunities. When using social media professionally, users often behave very professionally and refrain from posting or discussing everything they want to.

Digital identities converge in networked publics differently. Personal identities may act inappropriately and utilize online communities to harass, disseminate misinformation, and troll individuals, whereas professional identities are often motivated by a fear of losing jobs if they act inappropriately. both usages have their own positive and negative impacts.

1. Kathy Luu

Hey Abdul,
    Thank you for the post! I appreciated your use of an external resource to define digital identity!

In particular, I like how you mentioned the positive and negative impacts of digital identities. It’s often overlooked how important it is to monitor one’s online presence. As you mentioned, when used inappropriately it could affect one’s ability to acquire job offers. Do you have any suggestions on how someone may protect/prevent their personal social media use from interfering with their professional image?

PS. I haven’t heard of Health Information Science until I met someone yesterday who majored in it —it sounds very cool!

Sincerely,
    Kathy